Pre-College Tuba and Euphonium
June 21 - 27, 2020
This program, for senior high tuba and euphonium players, provides the opportunity to develop advanced technical and interpretive skills in a variety of musical styles and genres through masterclasses, individual lessons, chamber ensembles and private practice time. Students are exposed to a wide range of repertoire and learn about diverse facets of low brass literature and performance practice. Low brass students will have the opportunity to perform in brass quintets, tuba and euphonium choir, low brass quartets, and a brass choir coached by ISYM faculty members as part of the ISYM Pre-College Academy.
Final Concert Schedule
- For students completing grades 8-12.
- Application Form
- Submit a 5 minute recording of your playing. Please fill out this form. Audio or video (cell phone quality) is acceptable, and your recording should contain 2 contrasting selections of your choice. Recordings will be reviewed beginning May 21. (Please note that this is for placement only in a chamber ensemble.)
- Resident - $750 (tuition, room and board)
- Commuter - $550 (tuition and lunch only)
Pre- College Scholarship
- Students who graduate 11th grade in 2020 and who participate in the below pre-college programs during Summer 2020, will be considered for the ISYM Pre-College Scholarship. This scholarship awards $2,000 to the selected students to attend a Music degree program at Illinois starting in the Fall 2020 term. To receive the award students must apply and be admitted to the University of Illinois with any Music degree as the “first choice” major. The Scholarship will be renewed for a total of four years provided the student stays in good academic standing and make progress to the music degree. Other conditions of the scholarship may be included on official scholarship notice sent after the offer of admission.
On opening Sunday, Euphonium and Tuba participants will audition to determine placement in the Euphonium and Tuba ensemble.
Typical Pre-College Low Brass Daily Schedule
- 8:15-9:15 am: Warm-Up Class
- 9:30-10:30 am: Individual Practice
- 10:45-11:45: Pre-College Chamber Music hour (brass quintets and brass choir)
- Noon- 1:00: lunch
- 1:15- 2:15 pm: Master Class
- 2:30- 3:30 pm: Tuba Euphonium Ensemble
- 3:45-4:45 pm: Brass Chamber Music Seminar
- 5:15 pm: Dinner and evening activities
- 10:30 pm- lights out
Program Faculty Artist
Mark Moore, University of Illinois
Mark Moore is Professor of Tuba and Euphonium at the University of Illinois. Previously, he taught at the University of Southern Mississippi and at Shenandoah College and Conservatory of Music. His teachers include Arnold Jacobs (former principal tuba with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra), Robert LeBlanc and Dan Perantoni. Many of his students have won honors at the International Tuba Euphonium Association conferences and hold orchestra, band, and teaching positions at universities throughout the country.