June 20-26, 2021
This program, for senior high trombonists, provides the opportunity to develop advanced technical and interpretive skills in a variety of musical styles and genres through masterclasses, individual lessons, chamber ensembles and private practice time. Students are exposed to a wide range of repertoire and learn about diverse facets of trombone literature and performance practice. Trombone students will have the opportunity to perform in brass quintets, trombone choir, and a brass choir coached by ISYM faculty members as part of the ISYM Pre-College Academy.
Final Concert Schedule
- For students completing grades 8-12.
- Submit a 5 minute recording of your playing. Please fill out this form. Audio or video (cell phone quality) is acceptable, and your recording should contain 2 contrasting selections of your choice. Recordings will be reviewed beginning May 21. (Please note that this is for placement only in a chamber ensemble.)
- Resident - $750 (tuition, room and board)
- Commuter - $550 (tuition and lunch only)
Pre- College Scholarship
- Students who graduate 11th grade in 2021 and who participate in the below pre-college programs during Summer 2021, will be considered for the ISYM Pre-College Scholarship. This scholarship awards $2,000 to the selected students to attend a Music degree program at Illinois starting in the Fall 2022 term. To receive the award students must apply and be admitted to the University of Illinois with any Music degree as the “first choice” major. The Scholarship will be renewed for a total of four years provided the student stays in good academic standing and make progress to the music degree. Other conditions of the scholarship may be included on official scholarship notice sent after the offer of admission.
On opening Sunday, Pre-College Trombonists will have an audition to determine placement in the trombone choir.
Typical Pre-College Trombone Daily Schedule:
- 8:15-9:15 am: Warm-Up/ Master Class
- 9:30-10:30 am: Trombone Choir
- 10:45-11:45: Pre-College Chamber Music hour (brass quintets and brass choir)
- Noon- 1:00: lunch
- 1:15- 2:15 pm: Small Ensemble rehearsal
- 2:30- 3:30 pm: Individual Practice
- 3:45-4:45 pm: Brass Chamber Music Seminar
- 5:15 pm: Dinner and evening activities
- 10:30 pm- lights out
Program Faculty Artist
Elliot Chasanov, The University of Illinois
Now in his third decade at the University of Illinois, Elliot Chasanov was appointed Professor of Trombone with permanent tenure in 1991. As a soloist, Chasanov has presented recitals in many of the world's most prestigious venues including The Royal Academy of Music in London and Warsaw's Frederic Chopin College of Music. In December 2001 he was featured as trombone soloist with the Polish National Philharmonic-Bialystok and presented a solo recital in Florianka, Krakow's famed chamber concert hall. Read more about Professor Chasanov here.