June 26 – July 2, 2022
Designed for senior high vocalists, the primary focus of this program is developing an exceptional choral experience and individual artistry. Classes include full ensemble and sectional rehearsals, group voice lessons, conducting, and musicianship.
Format: In-Person on the Urbana-Champaign campus.
- For students completing grades 8-12.
- Sopranos: Apply early as spots tend to fill quickly.
Typical Daily Schedule
8 – 8:40 am: Sectionals
8:45 – 10 am: Full Rehearsal
10:15 – 11:50 am: Voice Class & Listening Class
12:00 – 1:00 pm: Lunch
1:15 – 2:10 pm: Ensemble Rehearsal
2:20 – 3:35 pm: Full Rehearsal
3:45 – 4:45 pm: Electives
5:15 pm: Dinner and Evening Activities
10:30 pm: Lights out
- Submit the ISYM Application Form
- There is no audition requirement for acceptance to this program.
- Acceptance notifications are sent on a rolling basis.
- Additional information will be available after April 1, 2022, including audition information for placement within the program.
- Resident – $800 (tuition, room and board)
- Commuter – $550 (tuition and lunch only)
Joe Grant, University of Illinois (retired)
Joe Grant is Associate Professor Emeritus from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. He taught there for 26 years chairing the Music Education division and heading the choral music education program. His teaching responsibilities included choral conducting and methods and music theatre production. He also conducted the UI Women’s Glee Club. Under his direction the choir sang at state and regional conferences of MENC, and state, divisional and national conferences of the American Choral Directors Association. He frequently serves as a guest conductor throughout the state and mid-west. He is currently the Director of Music at First Presbyterian Church, Champaign. Prior to teaching at UIUC he was the choral director at Danville High School for nine years. He is filling his retirement with tennis, golf, gardening and visits to our five grandchildren.