July 10 – 16, 2022
Designed for junior high students, the primary focus of this program is developing individual musicianship through a big band setting. Students will audition for placement in one of three big bands, and a few students will be selected for small jazz combos. Classes include big band and sectional rehearsals, improvisation, combo instruction, master classes, listening seminar, and study of individual instrument technique. The final concert will feature both big bands and one or two jazz combos.
Format: In-Person on the Urbana-Champaign campus.
- All instruments and voices are welcome.
- Prior experience performing in a jazz ensemble is not required.
- For students completing grades 6-8.
Typical Daily Schedule
8:15 – 9:15 am: Sectionals and Master Classes
9:30 – 10:30 am: Improvisation Class
10:45 – 11:45 am: Big Band Rehearsal
Noon – 1:15 pm: Lunch
1:15 – 2:15 pm: Combo Rehearsal/Listening Class
2:30 – 3:30 pm: Big Band Rehearsal
3:45 – 4:45 pm: Electives
5:15 pm: Dinner and Evening Activities
10:30 pm: Lights out
- Submit the ISYM Application Form (opens December 1)
- Acceptance notifications are sent on a rolling basis.
- Additional accepted student information will be available after April 15, 2022.
- Resident – $800 (tuition, room and board)
- Commuter – $550 (tuition and lunch only)