This program, for senior high hornists, provides the opportunity to develop advanced technical and interpretive skills in a variety of musical styles and genres through masterclasses, individual lessons, chamber ensembles and private practice time. Students are exposed to a wide range of repertoire and learn about diverse facets of horn literature and performance practice. Horn students will have the opportunity to perform in brass quintets, horn choir, wind quintets, wind chamber ensembles, or a brass choir coached by ISYM faculty members as part of the ISYM Pre-College Academy.
- For students completing grades 8-12.
- Students must have a minimum of 4 years of playing experience.
- Application Form
- Submit a 5 minute recording of your playing. Please fill out this form. Audio or video (cell phone quality) is acceptable, and your recording should contain 2 contrasting selections of your choice. Recordings will be reviewed beginning May 21. (Please note that this is for placement only in a chamber ensemble.)
- Resident - $750 (tuition, room and board)
- Commuter - $550 (tuition and lunch only)
Pre- College Scholarship
- Students who graduate 11th grade in 2020 and who participate in the below pre-college programs during Summer 2020, will be considered for the ISYM Pre-College Scholarship. This scholarship awards $2,000 to the selected students to attend a Music degree program at Illinois starting in the Fall 2020 term. To receive the award students must apply and be admitted to the University of Illinois with any Music degree as the “first choice” major. The Scholarship will be renewed for a total of four years provided the student stays in good academic standing and make progress to the music degree. Other conditions of the scholarship may be included on official scholarship notice sent after the offer of admission.
On opening Sunday, Pre-College horn students will have an audition to determine placement in the horn choir.
Typical Pre-College Horn Daily Schedule
- 8:15-9:15 am: Warm-Up Class
- 9:30-10:30 am: Horn Choir
- 10:45-11:45: Pre-College Chamber Music hour (brass and wind quintets and brass choir)
- Noon- 1:00: lunch
- 1:15- 2:15 pm: Master Class
- 2:30- 3:30 pm: Individual Practice/ Lessons
- 3:45-4:45 pm: Horn Workshop
- 5:15 pm: Dinner and evening activities
- 10:30 pm- lights out