June 21 - 27, 2020
This program, for senior high hornists, provides the opportunity to develop advanced technical and interpretive skills in a variety of musical styles and genres through masterclasses, individual lessons, chamber ensembles and private practice time. Students are exposed to a wide range of repertoire and learn about diverse facets of horn literature and performance practice. Horn students will have the opportunity to perform in brass quintets, horn choir, wind quintets, wind chamber ensembles, or a brass choir coached by ISYM faculty members as part of the ISYM Pre-College Academy.
Final Concert Schedule
- For students completing grades 8-12.
- Students must have a minimum of 4 years of playing experience.
- Application Form
- Submit a 5 minute recording of your playing. Please fill out this form. Audio or video (cell phone quality) is acceptable, and your recording should contain 2 contrasting selections of your choice. Recordings will be reviewed beginning May 21. (Please note that this is for placement only in a chamber ensemble.)
- Resident - $750 (tuition, room and board)
- Commuter - $550 (tuition and lunch only)
On opening Sunday, Pre-College horn students will have an audition to determine placement in the horn choir.
Typical Pre-College Horn Daily Schedule
- 8:15-9:15 am: Warm-Up Class
- 9:30-10:30 am: Horn Choir
- 10:45-11:45: Pre-College Chamber Music hour (brass and wind quintets and brass choir)
- Noon- 1:00: lunch
- 1:15- 2:15 pm: Master Class
- 2:30- 3:30 pm: Individual Practice/ Lessons
- 3:45-4:45 pm: Horn Workshop
- 5:15 pm: Dinner and evening activities
- 10:30 pm- lights out
Natalie Douglass, DePaul University and Lake Forest College
Jessica Pearce, Eastern Illinois University