June 20-26, 2021
Designed for senior high flutists, this program focuses on strengthening musicianship and fundamental technique. Students are exposed to a wide range of repertoire, orchestral excerpts, and receive advice on preparing for college auditions in addition to gaining perspective on all facets of flute practice and performance.
Flutists in this program have the opportunity to perform in woodwind quintets, flute ensembles, and woodwind chamber ensembles coached by ISYM faculty. Activities and classes in the Pre-College program are designed to immerse students in a college music experience similar to what they would experience as a music student at the University of Illinois.
- For students completing grades 8-12.
- Students must have a minimum of 4 years of flute experience, and be enrolled in private lessons.
- Submit a 5 minute recording of your playing. Please fill out this form. Audio or video (cell phone quality) is acceptable, and your recording should contain 2 contrasting selections of your choice. Recordings will be reviewed beginning May 21. (Please note that this is for placement only in a chamber ensemble.)
- Resident - $750 (tuition, room and board)
- Commuter - $550 (tuition and lunch only)
Pre- College Scholarship
- Students who graduate 11th grade in 2021 and who participate in the below pre-college programs during Summer 2021, will be considered for the ISYM Pre-College Scholarship. This scholarship awards $2,000 to the selected students to attend a Music degree program at Illinois starting in the Fall 2022 term. To receive the award students must apply and be admitted to the University of Illinois with any Music degree as the “first choice” major. The Scholarship will be renewed for a total of four years provided the student stays in good academic standing and make progress to the music degree. Other conditions of the scholarship may be included on official scholarship notice sent after the offer of admission.
On opening Sunday, Pre-College Flute participants will have an audition to determine placement in technique classes and and flute choir.
Typical Pre-College Flute Daily Schedule
- 8:15- 8:30 am: Group warm-up
- 9:30-10:30 am: Master Class
- 9:45- 10:45 am: Individual Practice/Lessons
- 11:00- noon: Pre-College Chamber Music hour (woodwind quintets and ensembles)
- Noon- 1:00: lunch
- 1:15- 2:15 pm: Individual Practice
- 2:30- 3:30 pm: Workshops
- 3:45-4:45 pm: Electives
- 5:15 pm: Dinner and evening activities
- 10:30 pm- lights out
Jonathan Keeble, Professor of Flute, University of Illinois
Jonathan Keeble is known for his rich tone, effervescent personality, and nuanced musicality. In high demand as performing artist and master class clinician, he has been described as having an “infinitely flexible sound, with many subtle colors,” and is among the leading performers of his generation. Recently released, critically acclaimed recordings include Voyage and Song of the Black Swan as part of the Aletheia Duo, and Turbulent Winds with the Prairie Winds. He is a regular performer at National Flute Association conventions, and is currently Immediate Past President of the Association.
Rebecca Johnson, Eastern Illinois University
Hideko Amano, Carthage College and Freelance Flute Teacher.
Jenny Shin, DePaul University