General Information for Accepted Students
We’re so excited you’ll be joining us for ISYM 2017! If you’re a new student, we welcome you to a tradition of over 65 years of musical excellence! Returning participants are in for a treat as we have many exciting new opportunities this summer. We ask that you please read the following information for all ISYM participants and families. Information specifically for commuter participants is also included. Please refer to Registration Day Information for specific details about the opening Sunday of your program.
ISYM Mailing Address:
Illinois Summer Youth Music
1114 W. Nevada St.
Urbana, IL 61801
217.244.3404 | email@example.com
Registration and Student Housing
Illinois Street Residence Halls (ISR)
1010 W. Illinois
Urbana, IL 61801-4789
ISYM Counselor Office: 217.333.5209
Before you Arrive
Payment Of Fees: A $60.00 late fee will be charged if final payment was not postmarked by May 16. If this balance due includes a scholarship check, this fee will be waived. Please note that your final payment is due by the first day of your session. All balances must be paid by credit card, cash, check(s) and/or money order(s) (payable to University of Illinois). Credit card payments and scholarship checks will be accepted in the registration line on the opening day of camp.
Final Statement: Final statements has been emailed. If you have any questions or concerns about your payments, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Medical Form: Your ISYM check-in will not be considered complete until your medical form is on file. The completed medical form should be received by June 1st. This form must be on file by the first day of camp. ISYM does not require a physician’s signature on the Student Medical Form, nor is a physical exam required. Download your medical form here.
NOTE: Pre-existing medical conditions should be noted on the camper’s medical form. If campers are taking medication, please notify your floor counselor. Insulin and similar medications will be refrigerated as required. Campers requiring regularly scheduled dosages or the use of insulin must notify the head counselor at check-in. These medications will be stored in the ISYM office at ISR. ISYM Staff will not administer medical treatments (shots, eye/ear drops, etc.). It is recommended that individual needs of campers be discussed with the floor counselors during the first day of camp.
The University and ISYM do not provide medical insurance coverage for participants.
Arriving at ISYM
Early Arrival/Late Departure (For Dorms): Students may arrive one day early and/or leave one day late for ISYM; additional room charges apply. Please contact the ISYM office (email@example.com) at least three weeks prior to the start of ISYM to make necessary arrangements. Students who arrive early should check in at the ISR Main Office. Payment for the extra night(s) must be remitted at the time of arrival. Make checks payable to: University of Illinois. The student will be housed in the room that they will occupy during the upcoming session. ISYM counselors will be responsible for the student after check-in on the first day of camp. If arriving early or leaving late, students will be on their own for meals. A counselor will be on call for emergencies. Middle school students staying between two sessions will have counselor supervision and be escorted to meals. Please Note: Meal service begins with dinner of the first day of camp.
Late Arrivals: Please let ISYM administration know if you plan on arriving late. We will arrange for a late audition. If a student is late due to unforeseen circumstances, a late audition will also be offered. If the late audition occurs after the first rehearsal, students will be placed at the bottom of the appropriate section (e.g. Violin 2, Clarinet 1) since solos may already have been assigned in the first rehearsal. Any changes in section seating will be discussed with the ensemble director and explained to the section to avoid confusion among the entire section as to why students are being reseated. All students auditioning late will receive warm up time.
Move-In: Plan on arriving at ISYM between 9-10 am the Sunday of your program. Refer to Final Registration Day Information for specific details.
Medical Care: There is always a counselor on “sick call” 24 hrs. a day during camp whom students can report to for any medical needs. First Aid supplies and over-the-counter medications are available in the main ISYM office at ISR. Medical services are available within the Urbana-Champaign area 24 hours a day, including emergency care at Carle Foundation Hospital and Clinic. Those needing medical attention are taken to an urgent care clinic for treatment (in most cases). The ISYM staff will contact you immediately by calling the emergency number(s) given on the medical form. Every attempt will be made to make contact with the person(s) listed on the medical form. In the event one cannot be contacted, ISYM will leave a detailed message whenever possible. In the case of serious illness or medical emergency, the advice of the attending physician will be followed. It is the responsibility of a parent or guardian to pay for any medical treatment given during ISYM. This includes (but is not limited to) medication or prescribed drugs, surgical procedures, and emergency transportation.
Telephones: Participants may bring a cell phone, but they should not be used in classes or evening concerts. Pay phones are also available in the lobby of ISR. Parents should call students on a pre-arranged schedule (evenings) between 10:00 and 10:30 pm or early mornings before 8:00 am.
Mail: Any mail addressed to students should be sent to: Campers Name, c/oILLINOIS SUMMER YOUTH MUSIC, 1114 WEST NEVADA ST, URBANA, IL, 61801. Mail should be sent to arrive after the opening of camp. Do not send mail to the Illinois Street Residence Hall.
Internet: Wi-fi Internet is available in dorm rooms via a guest wi-fi password.
The Daily Downbeat: The camp newsletter is published every day and can be read in the ISR lobby every morning. It contains information about schedules, activities, and final concerts and should be read by all participants. This will also be emailed daily to all parents.
Supervision: During the day, participants are supervised by ISYM teaching staff. After 5:00PM, participants are supervised by ISYM counseling staff that accompany them to evening events and conduct numerous head checks throughout the evening. Counselors live in the dorms with the participants and are available 24 hours a day for support. The counselor to participant ratio is approximately 1:15. Participants staying between sessions will be supervised by on call counselors.
Security: ISYM requires all visitors to check-in with the ISYM counseling office to obtain a visitor’s badge. All ISYM participants, employees, and visitors must wear ISYM identification at all times. The Illinois Street Residence Hall (ISR) is staffed 24 hours a day by hall monitors. The front doors are locked 24/7. Only residents and authorized visitors are allowed access. Inside of ISR, participants must swipe their housing card to gain access to the rooms. Boys and girls are housed on separate floors and are only allowed on a same-gender floor.
Food: Breakfast, lunch and dinner are provided at the ISR cafeteria beginning with dinner on Sunday and ending with lunch on Saturday. Many food options are available including fresh fruits, a salad bar, and hot entrees. ISR always offers a vegetarian option, and if you have specific food allergies, please note these on your Medical Form and fill out this form so that we may relay any special dietary needs to an ISR Food Division staff member. Participants are permitted to keep non-perishable snack foods in their residence hall rooms. Refrigerators are not available to participants, except for medical needs such as the storage of insulin.
Off-Campus Permit: ISYM participants, with the proper authorization, may leave the ISYM designated area for special events (for example, going out to eat with a roommate and roommate’s parents). Parents must complete the “Permission to Leave” form on the first day of camp and submit it to the ISYM Counseling Office. A photo ID is required in order to check a student out during ISYM.
Camp Pictures: Professional photographs of each individual ISYM group will be taken during each session. These can be pre-ordered by students after the picture is taken at the beginning of the week. Students should bring approximately $20 to cover the cost of pictures. Alternatively, photographs may be purchased during check out on Saturday.
Camp T-Shirts: A special t-shirt with the ISYM logo/design will be provided free of charge for each participant.
Instrument Repair Service: This service is not available through ISYM. If repairs are needed during ISYM, we can arrange to bring instruments to a local repair shop Monday through Saturday. Charges will need to be covered by the participant/parent. Instrument repair services will not be available on Sunday, so please make sure your instrument is in working order before coming to camp.
What to Bring: Visit our "What to Bring" page for a complete list of items needed for your program.
Final Concert Dress: For Choir, Band, Orchestra and Jazz participants: Black dress pants (no jeans) or skirt (knee length or longer); white dress shirt. Dark dress shoes and socks are required (no tennis shoes, please). Pre-college participants should bring appropriate Sunday Casual dress clothing for the final concert.
Everyday Clothing: Bring casual yet appropriate clothing for rehearsals and campus activities; suitable attire for RAINY and COLD weather; we suggest bringing at least one dress shirt, pants/dresses for the evening recitals. (Please do not wear jeans or tennis shoes to these events.) Students are strongly encouraged to bring an umbrella as well as sweaters or jackets for rehearsals; AC is COLD on campus! Comfortable walking shoes are also highly recommended.
Do Not Bring: expensive jewelry, cooking appliances, or excessive spending money ($8-10 in cash per day is a reasonable amount to budget). Students will be able to store money and other valuable items in their locked closet. The University and ISYM are not liable for theft, loss, damage or destruction of personal property.
Final Day of ISYM: (Breakfast and Lunch provided for resident students)
- 7:00 am – 12:00 pm: Dorm Check-out period (All students must be checked out of their room before noon)
- 10:00 am- 3:00 pm: Final Concerts. Concert schedules are listed online and included in your final statement/instructions packet.
- If a parent is unable to pick up a student prior to 12 pm, luggage may be stored in room 110 ISR.
- Free parking available at Lot D-9 or Krannert Center parking garage; meters are enforced on Saturdays.
- Group pictures will be available for pick-up and purchase at ISR; students may pre-order on picture day.
- Check http://isym.music.illinois.edu/Student_Life/schedule.php for Final Concert Schedule.
Key Return: Dorm Keys will be returned at checkout or a lost key fee of $25 per key will be due at that time.
Auditions and Rehearsals
- A placement audition will be required for most students on the morning of the first day. (Audition materials may be downloaded from our Auditions Page.
- Warm up rooms are located in designated rooms within the buildings used for auditions.
- Instrumentalists: the audition results determine ensemble and chair assignment
- Choir: auditions are held for assignment in chamber ensembles
- Pre-College Programs: audition results determine teacher assignment, chamber ensembles, and solo repertoire to be studied during the camp
- Placements are determined by ISYM instructors based on musicianship demonstrated during the audition. All students will be assigned to an ensemble based on his or her performing ability. Each session provides students with the opportunity to participate in either an advanced or intermediate-level ensemble. Several Wind and Percussion students will be invited to participate exclusively in the Senior and Junior Orchestras.
- Bring instruments and pencils! Counselors will lead groups from ISR to first rehearsal location. See Daily Downbeat for departure locations.
- Make sure instruments are in excellent playing condition prior to arrival at camp! Repair options are limited during camp. Parents are responsible for all payments for repairs.
- Students with larger instruments are encouraged to bring a small, folding “luggage cart” for transporting their instrument to and from rehearsals. All instrumentalists need to bring a folding music stand for rehearsals Monday-Friday.
- ISYM staff may transport the following instruments: tuba, double bass, cello, etc. to/from rehearsals and residence halls.
Additional Commuter Information
Parent Meeting: All parents/guardians are encouraged to attend the parent meeting on the first day. Details about this meeting can be found in the Registration Day Information.
Pick-up & Drop-Offs:
In order to provide a full experience for every camper, we recommend that each commuter begin and end each day at ISR.
- Please bring your participant to ISR each morning between 7:45-8:15 depending on the start time of your child’s camp. She/he can read the daily downbeat in the lobby of ISR and then walk with other ISYM participants to his/her first class.
- Please pick-up your ISYM commuter in front of ISR at the end of each day at 4:45 pm, unless staying for the evening activity. Commuters may not be in ISR after 10:00 pm each evening.
- Rehearsals, Sectionals, Masterclasses, etc. are held from 8:00 am – 4:45 pm. Attendance is required.
- Evening activities: Attendance is strongly encouraged. These are open and free to commuter students and their parents. Students will need money to rent skates for ice skating, play arcade games, or purchase anything on Green Street. Commuter students attending the evening activity should be at the 6:30 pm head check of their assigned floor. If they are not at the 6:30, it’s assumed the participant will not be attending the evening activity.
Instrument Storage: Commuters may store large instruments in Room 110, ISR (directly across from the ISYM Counseling Office).
- Commuters may purchase meals for the ISR Dining Hall through ISYM at a reduced rate.
- The order form for pre-purchasing meals can be found here.
- No refunds will be given under any circumstances for pre-purchased meal tickets.
- After June 1, reduced rate meal tickets will not be available; commuters will need to purchase meal tickets from the ISR front desk during ISYM.
- Meal tickets may be purchased from the ISR front desk at the following rates during ISYM: Breakfast $9.21; Lunch - $11.72; Dinner - $15.26
- Brown bag lunches may be eaten in the ISR Lounges; please do not eat in any other room. Commuters without a meal ticket will not be admitted to the cafeteria.
- Participants will be provided with a list of local restaurants should they choose to eat outside of ISR.
- Driving your own car to camp is permitted if you have a license to do so.
- Commuters may not offer or give rides to other ISYM participants.
- ISYM does not provide parking. Metered parking is located around campus. You may purchase a meter pass for $12.00 per day (subject to change) from the UI Parking Division. The information from the UI Parking Division is online at http://www.parking.illinois.edu/permits/day-meter-permit
- ISYM is not responsible for any fines incurred while parking on campus
- Illinois Summer Youth Music reserves the right to assign each applicant according to his/her placement audition. ISYM also reserves the right to reassign the seating of a student at any time
- No refunds will be given for cancellations made within three weeks prior to the start of ISYM or for absence or early departure. Full refund policy stated below.
- Participants are expected to attend all instructional classes and required performances including final concerts except for illness or other pre-approved circumstances.
- Participants may not bring or operate any “wheeled” vehicles (including but not limited to: skateboards, bicycles, rollerblades, etc.). Participants must travel on campus by foot during ISYM.
- Residents are responsible for keeping their room door locked. ISYM is not responsible for loss of or damage to property, induced accident or injury, costs of improper use of fire alarms and any other expense incurred by the participant while attending ISYM.
- ISYM reserves the right to withhold privileges and/or dismiss any participant at any time for any of the following reasons: possession or use of alcohol or illicit drugs, unacceptable dress, vulgar or discriminatory language or improper conduct.
Refunds will be given in the following instances:
- The full tuition deposit ($100) refund will be sent to applicants of a closed program or section.
- A partial tuition deposit ($25) and any early payment will be refunded to participants who cancel registration prior to May 15 or do not meet minimum camp requirements
- Cancellations received for participants after May 15 and before 3 weeks prior to the first day of his/her ISYM program will receive a refund of all payments except the $100 deposit.
- No refund will be given to participants under the following circumstances: those who cancel during the 3 weeks prior to the first day of camp, those who depart from camp early, or arrive to camp late.
Due to costs being set based on enrollment we are unable to offer any other refund options.
On behalf of the University of Illinois, the School of Music and the ISYM staff, we look forward to seeing you this summer!